6 Top Ways to Prevent Headaches
- Regular spinal checkups. Regular spinal checkups allow you to correct any structural misalignments, faulty biomechanics and spinal nerve irritation within the upper spine before serious problems develop. Practicing a “preventative” approach as opposed to a “crisis” approach is the most effective way to stay healthy.
- Practice proper posture and ergonomics. Proper posture and ergonomics keeps stress to the cervical and upper thoracic spine to a minimum. Proper body biomechanics keeps irritation and injury to the pain sensitive spinal tissues to a minimum.
- Avoid analgesic use. While occasional short-term analgesic use is appropriate in some cases, analgesics are not a cure and should not be used as a long-term solution to managing headaches. Proper headache management deals with correcting the cause of the headache and not simply the masking of symptoms. Furthermore, excessive analgesic use frequently has a rebound effect, ironically increasing the frequency and intensity of the headaches they are meant to treat. FYI- research has shown that 60% of all chronic headaches are drug-induced.
- Proper stress management. Stress is a major trigger of headaches. If you find your stress levels are excessive, contact our office. We can assist you in appropriately managing your stress levels.
- Regular exercise. Routine physical activity keeps the body and mind strong, healthy and happy. A minimum of 3 times per week for 40 minutes should be your goal. Involve friends and family, mix up the activities, keep it fun and stay consistent!
- Proper diet and nutrition. Providing your body with the proper fuel through proper diet and nutrition allows the body to fight off disease and function at a higher level.
If you suffer from migraines be sure to avoid foods that trigger attacks like chocolate, caffeine, nuts, MSG, foods containing nitrates and alcohol.
Find out more information about our neck and back pain doctors located in Brandon and St. Petersburg and how they can help you with low back pain, neck pain, headaches, and sports injuries. Contact Tampa Bay Spine & Injury today to make an appointment and start on your path to pain-free living.
We have two locations to serve you: