As we put the holiday season behind us, many people are feeling stressful after-effects of the season. The holidays can be both physically and emotionally draining and the demands can seem virtually endless – if you’re not attending a party, you’re hosting a party; if you’re not decking the halls, you’re baking and sending out holiday greetings; and if you’re not shopping for gifts, you’re wrapping and mailing them. It’s a lot.
The most important first step is to acknowledge the fact that depression can follow on the heels of holiday stress, and this is especially true if you’ve encountered such depressions in the past (history tends to repeat itself). This stress can be compounded by the demands of returning to work or school or juggling the busy schedules of your family.
Coping with Stress
Your most important line of defense in coping with stress is to hammer out an active plan that includes preventative strategies such as:
- Staying in touch with your feelings and recognizing when you are starting to struggle
- Seeking the support and companionship that you need
- Volunteering your time (by helping others, you help yourself)
- Accepting the simple truth that you do not always have control over your schedule or life
- Creating and sticking to a budget in an effort to avoid unpleasant financial surprises
- Scheduling those activities and events that mean the most to you
- Saying no when you need to (don’t over commit);
- Sticking to those healthy lifestyle habits that you’ve already committed to
- Taking time out when you need it.
These are all great strategies, but the fact remains that the stress can take a physical and emotional toll on anyone. Help is available.
If Stress is Affecting You, Contact a Tampa Bay Chiropractor Today
If you are suffering from the aftermath of the holidays or other stress in your life, please don’t hesitate to contact Tampa Bay Spine & Injury for an appointment today. True wellness is achieved through a holistic approach to medical care, and chiropractic care is an integral component of this care. Because no one is immune to stress, we are here to help you navigate stressful times of the year and of your life. We have two offices that are conveniently located in Brandon (813-381-3852) and St. Petersburg (727-898-3852), so please call us for help with your post-holiday stress.