The adage goes that a journey of 100 miles begins with one step. In the past several years, counting steps has rocketed into vogue, and many people have begun to focus on their daily step-count. In fact, there’s a universal starting-goal of 10,000 steps that’s built into the hype. While actually counting your steps with an app or a fitness gadget may not be for you, this phenomenon is helping to put the focus back on the healthy benefits of building more steps into your day. And there’s no better time than spring to step up your steps.
What’s in It for Me?
Studies related to increased daily step-counts universally indicate that even a small increase in your daily steps can reap significant health benefits:
- Strengthening your heart;
- Boosting your immunity against disease;
- Improving your mood;
- Lowering your blood pressure;
- Increasing your energy; and
- Decreasing your body mass index (BMI).
Building more steps into your day is a great way to bolster your physical and mental health, so put some thought into maximizing your daily step-count.
Step Over Here
You don’t have to revolutionize your life to squeeze in more steps. In fact, it’s probably easier than you realize to integrate more steps into your day:
- Trick yourself into taking more steps by not keeping your phone, your remote, or your laptop next to you at all times – step up to the task of retrieving these items when you need them.
- Don’t waste time trying to score the best parking spot in the lot – park along the lot’s perimeter and accumulate extra steps.
- Forego the elevator – taking the stairs not only adds to your step count but also ups your exercise game in a variety of heart-healthy ways.
- Sit less and stand more – standing is far more conducive to increasing your step count.
You were born to move, and while your desk job and long commute might dictate that you spend a good deal of your day sitting, you can break out of that pattern by sneaking extra steps into your daily routine.
If You’re Ready to Step up Your Step Count, Contact a Tampa Bay Chiropractor Today
Chiropractic care is committed to keeping you in healthy alignment, and we encourage you to incorporate more steps into your day. Chiropractic care can help you move past lethargy and reach your goal of 10,000 steps. Contact Tampa Bay Spine & Injury for an appointment today. Our goal is to help you step into the healthy lifestyle that you deserve. We have two offices that are conveniently located in Brandon (813-381-3852) and St. Petersburg (727-898-3852), so please call us if you are ready to step out.